We are seeking a Managing Solicitor to work at our office in Carnarvon for a fixed term period through to 30 June 2020 with possibility of extension.
Closing Date: Friday 3 May, 2019
The successful applicant will help shape the direction of the Aboriginal Family Law Services in the respective region and work with a degree of independence.
The Managing Solicitor is responsible for the delivery of legal services, including family law, care and protection matters, family violence restraining orders and criminal injuries compensation. The successful applicant will provide legal advice, court representation and community legal education to Aboriginal people who have suffered, or are experiencing, family violence within their community.
In addition, the successful applicant will have managing responsibilities for the 4/5 staff in the regional office and will be required to oversee internal administration practices. This includes overseeing internal administration systems including CLASS, file management, filing and IT systems as well as other administrative and managerial duties including annual appraisals for staff reporting to this role, and approval of leave requests and timesheets.
To be considered for this position you need to meet the following criteria:
- Admitted, or eligible for admittance, to practice in the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- Minimum of 4 years’ post admission legal practice experience
- Excellent communication skills including oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal people
- Able to travel to remote areas to deliver services to clients and the community
- Experience in family law, care and protection matters, criminal injuries compensation and family violence restraining orders
- Advocacy Experience
Essential Eligibility Requirements
- Current ‘C’ Class WA Driver’s License
- Current Police Clearance Certificate
- Current Working with Children Check
AFLS offers an attractive salary package including remote allowances and superannuation, as well as 5 weeks’ annual leave and salary sacrifice options.
Applications should include a Letter of Introduction, a Statement Addressing the Selection Criteria and a Resume including names of two (2) referees.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Human Resources, AFLS
PO Box 5254, East Victoria Park
Western Australia 6981.
Please note that only those successful to interview will be contacted.
AFLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply