We are seeking a Managing Solicitor to work at our office in Kalgoorlie.
Closing Date 27 December 2019
The Managing Solicitor is responsible for the delivery of legal services, including court representation, to Aboriginal clients in the areas of family law, family violence, criminal injuries compensation and care and protection matters. The role also entails providing clinical legal education (“CLE”) to community groups and external stakeholders. The Managing Solicitor is also required to attend to outreach in the Kalgoorlie region to provide CLE. The Managing Solicitor may also be required to supervise restricted legal practitioners in the Kalgoorlie Office.
In addition to legal duties, the successful applicant will be required to supervise office staff in their day-to-day activities. This includes overseeing internal administration systems including CLASS, file management, filing and IT systems as well as other administrative and managerial duties including annual appraisals for staff reporting to this role, and approval of leave requests and timesheets.
To be considered for this position you need to meet the following criteria:
- Eligible for unrestricted practice certificate from the Legal Practice Board of Western Australia
- Admitted or eligible for admittance to practice in the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- Legal qualifications relevant to the position with copies provided
- Minimum of 2 years’ legal practice experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing staff
- Excellent communication skills including oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal people
- Demonstrated ability to travel to remote areas to deliver services to clients and the community
- Post graduate education in Aboriginal Family Violence issues
- Advocacy Experience
- Experience working with Aboriginal people
- Experience working within family law or welfare based legal representation
- 5 years legal practice experience
- Experience in family law, protection and care matters, criminal injuries compensation and/or violence restraining orders
- Experience in delivering community legal education
Essential Eligibility Requirements
- Current ‘C’ Class WA Driver’s License
- Current Police Clearance Certificate
- Current Working with Children Check
Applications should include a Letter of Introduction, a Statement Addressing the Selection Criteria and a Resume including names of two (2) referees.
AFLS offers an attractive salary package including remote allowances and superannuation, as well as 5 weeks’ annual leave and salary sacrifice options.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com or mailed to:
Human Resources, AFLS
PO Box 5254, East Victoria Park
Western Australia 6981.
Please note that only those successful to interview will be contacted.
AFLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply